Wednesday, March 11, 2009

In Case You Were Wondering...

A couple of days ago someone posted this question for me on Facebook: "I was hoping you could explain to me how bananas grow. I am fascinated by their ability to split into thirds." Well, I thought you might like to know too, as it is a bit interesting.

Before a banana becomes a full grown fruit, the ovary (what will become the fruit) is divided into three carpels (fancy word for 'sections'). There is a thin membrane that divides the carpels, and the membrane remains in a mature, edible fruit. This is why a banana divides into three distinct sections.

2 comments:

Lindsay Hansen said...

I think I love this blog post. Yes, yes I do.

Big Daddio said...

I'm not sure what to make of opening up your blog day after day after day after day looking for new and interesting entries and being greeted by a banana day after day after day after day. . .